Becoming a Primary Caregiver When the Parents are Incapable

All too often our lawyers represent relatives (aunts, uncles, grandparents, siblings, etc.) who, for one reason or another have decided that they must take on the caregiver roll for a child family member. Often, the children’s parents are incapable of parenting due to drug use or mental illness. Sometimes the arrangement is temporary and sometimes it lasts until the child is an adult. Our attorneys will not only walk you through the process of obtaining custody of a child, but can also help you find resources in your community to help you financially provide for a child when their parents are unwilling or unable.

If you’re in the difficult position of considering third-party custody, we’ll help you understand the process, and ensure the child’s interests come first.